Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How to make Perfect Oatmeal


I love oatmeal. No, seriously. You can do so much to it, it is so customizable, and you can alter the consistency to adapt to your mood. Oatmeal is packed with fiber and antioxidants, can lower your bad cholesterol and chance for developing diabetes or breast cancer, boosts your immune system, stabilizes your blood sugar, and it's gluten friendly!!

So, if you are making stove top… here is how to make the best oatmeal from a Quaker box. (I’m a professional, trust me.)



Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup oats. 
  • 1 1/2 cup water. 
  • Pinch of salt. 
  • 2 tb brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup fat free milk (depending on how thick you like your oatmeal)

Put oatmeal, water, and salt in a pot on the stove and bring it to a boil. It won't take too long to boil, so keep an eye on it, and be sure to stir it every now and again. Let it boil until it hits a thick, creamy texture. At this point, drop the heat to low and add the sugar, spices, and vanilla, and stir stir stir. Then add the milk. Stir Stir Stir. Once it comes back to the thick, creamy texture, it's done and you are ready for toppings…

My boyfriend likes raisins. If you use them, (or any other dehydrated fruit) be sure to soak them in water while you make the oatmeal, then drain them before adding them in. You can also soak them in a fruit juice (or alcohol if you are that kind of person) for extra flavor. I personally like to mix mine with sweet potato, chocolate chips, or a tiny bit of peanut butter topped with sliced banana. But my favorite so far has been lightly toasted pecans and walnuts. Add as much of these toppings as you like, but go easy on the chocolate chips.. you only need a couple... they go a long way.

I have also been known to crack a little bit of fresh pepper into my oatmeal for depth of flavor… but I have found that I have a weirdly tolerant palate. Try it if you are feeling adventurous.

The spices above are completely optional, but I find them to be a really good base to any flavor profile. The milk you can add or take from, depending on how thick or runny you like your oatmeal. I happen to like mine really thick, so I don't add very much. 

If you want a higher fat version for more flavor, replace the milk with whole milk or even cream or half and half. Try adding a tsp for butter, too. =)

Happy Oatmealing!


No comments:

Post a Comment