Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Taco Pie



 Hello Blogger Land!!

Had a long day today, though it wasn't very eventful. A teacher of mine recently received Teacher of the Year and apparently someone is making a video about her to play at the acceptance ceremony. I saw her the other day and she asked if I would be willing to be in the video...

A thank you video to my favorite teacher?
HECK YES!

So anyway.. on to the food. That's right.. no baked goodies tonight.. just some delicious savory goodness.

Tonight for dinner I was going to use some hamburger patties that I had thawed for a birthday party and make some burritos. Nothing special. Quick, easy, and would leave plenty of time for playing *cough*DDO*cough*

But then I saw this:


A friend of mine pinned it as I was about to get up to make dinner and I thought "Yeah, I can do that."

I had to change a few things, but here is how it turned out.



Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef (I used 3 hamburger patties)
Taco seasoning
3 large flour tortillas (I used the Jumbo sized ones)
Salsa Con Queso Cheese Dip (optional)
Shredded Mexican cheese blend
Refried beans (I'm easy, I used the canned stuff)

There really aren't any measurements because I don't believe in using them while cooking. In baking they are a bit necessary, but in cooking.. only for really important stuff like protein and main starch. 



Directions:
  1. Crumble and brown ground beef. Drain excess grease, add meat back to pan, then add taco seasoning and some water. Just a bit of water is necessary. 
  2. Turn off the heat and add some Salsa con Queso to the meat and mix it up. You don't need much, and the meat shouldn't be swimming in it.. just enough to bind the meat together. 
  3. Heat up your beans a little in the microwave.
  4. Grab a round pan and lay your first tortilla down. If you are using the jumbo tortillas like me, it's not exactly going to fit. Tear the edges of the tortilla from the outside inward (about an inch deep) every three inches or so, and then press the tortilla down into the pan. This will allow the tortilla edges to overlap themselves and create a bit of a crust. 
  5. Spread your beans, and half the meat (or 1/3 if you want three layers) and cover with shredded cheese. 
  6. Put the second tortilla down, tearing into it like you did the first one. Spread the beans, meat and cheese.
  7. Fold the edges of the two tortillas over the layer you just made, so it kind of looks like a Crunch Wrap Supreme from Taco Bell.  
  8. Lay down your third tortilla over the folded edges. If your pan is like mine, there wont be any more room for the tortilla to sink into the pan, so grab your kitchen shears and trim the edges of the tortilla off so it fits perfectly into the pan. 
  9. Spread a last layer of beans (meat if you want it), a little more of the salsa con queso, and sprinkle with cheese. 
  10. Bake in a 350° oven for about 15 to 20 mins. 
  11. Serve with guacamole and sour cream and enjoy!


Boyfriend and room mate approved. ENJOY!


Salsa Con Queso for anyone who isn't familiar with the product. 
And Thank you to The Country Cook for the original recipe. Find her here.

No comments:

Post a Comment